[ADMB Users] Problems with RE model, using FUNCTIONs for integration

H. Skaug hskaug at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 09:43:31 PST 2012

Mark,

I recommend staying away from calling adromb() and any FUNCTION
at the current stage because it is under development. This
is especially so when you are new to ADMB. I have included
your trapz code directly into the PROCEDURE SECTION. That
is the way to go for now.

Note my print out
cout << "trapz - exact=" << Ht-ht*t(i,j)/r << endl;
which compares which stays zero for a long time, but then strange things
happen, resulting from some instability in you integration code.

My advice remains: develop the joint model with the analytical Weibull function.
As it stands now, you have dug into some numerical integration detail,
without checking that the model as a whole will work.

Your main argument against the analytical Weibull function is time varying
covariates in exp(). I am sure they are available at discrete time points,
in which case exp() can be linearly interpolated, and multiplied
with the weibull baseline there still is an analytical solution.

Hans