[ADMB Users] Integrating R and ADMB to generalize TPL files

Jeff Laake jefflaake at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:37:27 PDT 2012

I'm a newbie at ADMB but have been using R for over a decade. Coming from R
my inclination was to integrate R and ADMB and I found the R2admb package
that Ben Bolker wrote. That package makes it quite easy to use R in
constructing TPL files and drive model development from R rather than
editing TPL in an IDE or text editor. In particular, I'm using model.matrix
in R to create design matrices that are input as DATA into ADMB. This means
a basic TPL file can be used without modification to run any number of
models directly from R.  I mentioned this to a colleague who said that his
biggest complaint about ADMB was it's lack of tools such as model.matrix.
 When I showed him my approach he suggested that I post a message to the
user list as others may be interested as well. The following link
https://github.com/downloads/jlaake/R2admb/Intro_to_r2admb.pdf  will take
you to a pdf that shows a couple of examples. The first shows how to extend
simple.tpl to fit any model and the second more useful example fits
detection curves to line transect data. The code for these examples is at
https://github.com/jlaake/R2admb/tree/master/Intro%20to%20R2admb

I'd appreciate getting any comments about its usefulness (or not) and my
admb programming which I'm still learning, I believe that integration of
admb into R (as in glmmADMB) will help make ADMB more mainstream in ecology
and other fields.

regards --jeff laake