[ADMB Users] Function maximizer failed error

Helene Russell Vastveit helenv at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Oct 25 00:52:47 PDT 2012

Hello,
I am having trouble using glmmADMB on my data on infection status. I
am using a binomial family with a 0/1 infection response variable and
three fixed variables: year, location and season number, as well as
individual identity as my random variable. My problem is that all
models containing a year-location interaction fail to run through and
I get

Error in glmmadmb(prevflu ~ AAR + FLOK + AAR:FLOK + (1 | RINGNR),
family = "binomial",  :
   The function maximizer failed (couldn't find STD file)
In addition: Warning message:
running command 'C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c
"C:/Users/helenv/Documents/R/R-2.15.1/library/glmmADMB/bin/windows64/glmmadmb.exe" -maxfn 500 -maxph 5 -noinit -shess' had status
1

After looking closely at my data it seems that one year-location
combinations does not have any infected individuals. If I correct my
data by changing the infection status of one individual, artifially
increasing the variation in status in this year-location combination,
the models run through just fine. The data consists of 8000 rows in 4
locations over an 8 year span. The year-location combination in
question has 52 datapoints.

I am using version 2.15.1 of R, the most recent version of glmmADMB
and windows 7 professional. Do you have any suggestions as to why this
model won?t run or how I can bypass this problem? All help will truly
be appreciated.

Helene Russell Vastveit