[ADMB Users] Install problems

Rice, Cliff G (DFW) Clifford.Rice at dfw.wa.gov
Thu Nov 7 12:44:10 PST 2013

Greetings,
I appreciate your efforts to make ADMB installation easier.  Here's an account of my experience.

I am attempting to install ADMB 11.1 on a Windows 7 (Professional-Service Pack1) computer.

I've used ADMB before, but had to reinstall Windows, so back to square 1 almost, but I knew I used the mingw version before.

So I went to downloads, then to code.google.
First off, I was confused by the 2 downloads offered,

admb-11.1-windows-mingw-32bit.exe <http://code.google.com/p/admb-project/downloads/detail?name=admb-11.1-windows-mingw-32bit.exe&can=2&q=>

ADMB-11.1 for Windows and MinGW (32bit) <http://code.google.com/p/admb-project/downloads/detail?name=admb-11.1-windows-mingw-32bit.exe&can=2&q=>

admb-11.1-windows-mingw-32bit.zip <http://code.google.com/p/admb-project/downloads/detail?name=admb-11.1-windows-mingw-32bit.zip&can=2&q=>

ADMB-11.1 for Windows and MinGW (32bit) <http://code.google.com/p/admb-project/downloads/detail?name=admb-11.1-windows-mingw-32bit.zip&can=2&q=>

What's the difference between these and how do I choose?
Ok, try 1, say the first, then check the directions at
http://www.admb-project.org/svn/tags/admb-11.1/INSTALL.txt
This says "Right click the downloaded file and extract to 'C:\admb\'"
So is this .exe just a self-extracting file or something else like a real installer?
Well, run it I did, and directed the files to C:\admb\
Continuing with the directions, "C:\admb\> utilities\get-mingw.bat"
That seemed to go OK.
Then "C:\admb\> utilities\make"
No good- did not take more than a few seconds and ended with:
[cid:image001.png at 01CEDB0B.060C36B0]

Well, maybe it worked, so try 'simple'.  Not recognized, so must not have worked.
So, try the .zip.
First rename c:\admb to admb1
Then, uninstall admb via Windows Programs and features
Download .zip and extract to c:\admb
"C:\admb\> utilities\get-mingw.bat" again - looked OK again.
Then "C:\admb\> utilities\make" - same as 1st time.
However, there is no admb in my Programs and Features

So, then I found
http://www.admb-project.org/documentation/installation/admb-installation-mingw
which indicates separate installation of mingw - well no need to do that - that's the part that appeared to work correctly above.
Read down to "Download ADMB for Windows GCC from the downloads<http://www.admb-project.org/downloads> tab of this website."
Well, the downloads has no entries for 'Windows GCC', but reading between the lines, must be the 2 listed above.
Tried that already.

So maybe mingw is not in the right place since there is no C:\MinGW\ folder so far and that's where one set of instructions places it?  Doesn't make sense, but let's try all possible instruction permutations.
As per http://www.admb-project.org/documentation/installation/admb-installation-mingw
Download GCC version 4.5.2 and unzip the file into C:\MinGW\ -done.
Set Paths
Must be: %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\MinGW
Now at least I know I want the .exe download, because I've seen the window graphic shown in the instructions before.
So rename C:\admb to C:\admb2
Run admb-11.1-windows-mingw-32bit.exe
Put files in C:\admb\

Launch admb prompt
cd to folder 'simple'
error: admodel.h: No such file or directory
Just in case modify path again to include trailing backslash i.e., C:\MinGW\
Same error.
admodel.h  found manually at C:\admb\include and C:\admb\src\nh99
Add C:\admb\include\ to Path(s)
No change:
[cid:image002.png at 01CEDBB0.3D231740]

I'm not a C++ programmer, but I take it that simple.cpp line 1, col 21 is the issue (ie, #include <admodel.h>).  And I see the 'include' folder in the adcomp section.  I can open admodel.h with a text editor, so no apparent permissions problem.  Kind of stuck.

Can you advise me on a solution?

In the meantime, briefly,
I realize there are changing procedures and perhaps some legacy instructions and that there is more than one way to skin a cat.  But for windows GCC, there would appear to be 2 sets of instructions:
http://www.admb-project.org/documentation/installation/admb-installation-mingw, and
http://www.admb-project.org/svn/tags/admb-11.1/INSTALL.txt
Neither of these indicate if one should download the .exe or the .zip.

After reading for former, I am wondering if step 5 in the later should be in a ADMB prompt window or continuing in the DOS prompt window (or either?).  If it is ADMB prompt window, it probably would be good to be explicit.  Maybe the terms 'Build' and 'run' imply this, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Cliff Rice
Research Scientist
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
360-902-2245