[ADMB Users] ADMB with gcc, mingw, and/or msys

Jon Schnute schnutej-dfo at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 13 18:56:36 PST 2013

Thanks, Arni. That's very helpful. I didn't quite understand how the process
works, although I have noticed Johnoel's recent (and frequent) changes to
the makefile tree. In the future, I'll use the developers@ rather than the
with me if I bungle around a bit while learning more about your protocols.

I have two thoughts that you might consider:

1. Probably the R developers produced "Rtools"
(http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/) when they realized that the
"official" open source versions of Unix on Windows needed tweaking to work
with R. Obviously, we're in the same position with ADMB. I suggest that we
produce our own "ADMBtools" to accomplish a similar purpose. This would be
available on the ADMB web site, just as "Rtools" is available (in multiple
versions) on the R web site. Different versions of ADMBtools might be needed
for different versions of ADMB.

2. If several developers are running experiments with msys/mingw/Rtools, it
would obviously help to maintain a record of the results. That way we could
avoid repeating each other's work. I'm not sure how we could collectively
maintain such a record (the web site?), but it would be great if we could
share our experiences. Disciplined versions of ADMBtools could help focus
the effort.

I'll continue with my own experiments. Hopefully, we can soon build the
current version of AMDB with open source tools on Windows. For many reasons
(too numerous and annoying to mention here), I intensely dislike the
Microsoft route with Visual C++.

Thanks again!

Jon