[ADMB Users] The function maximizer failed

Markus Rump markus.rump at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Aug 3 04:52:30 PDT 2014

Hello glmmADBM users,

I want to fit a model with glmmadbm() and get the following error:
Fehler in glmmadmb(formula = fixedeff, random = randeff, data =
subset(dat,  :  The function maximizer failed (couldn't find STD file)
Zusätzlich: Warnmeldungen:
1: Ausführung von Kommando 'C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c
"C:/Programme/R/R-3.1.0/library/glmmADMB/bin/windows64/glmmadmb.exe"
-maxfn 500 -maxph 5 -noinit' ergab Status
2: In shell(cmd, invisible = TRUE, intern = !verbose) :
'"C:/Programme/R/R-3.1.0/library/glmmADMB/bin/windows64/glmmadmb.exe"
-maxfn 500 -maxph 5 -noinit' execution failed with error code 1

The data.frame has the following variables:
- Y: a zero-truncated count variable
- X1: a standard normal variable
- GRP: a group variable (from 1 to 50)
In total 491282 rows and 3 columns

If I use a (small) subset of the data everything worked fine.

I tried the following to solve the problem:
- I downgraded the package to version 0.7.2.12
- I used the setting "admb.opts=admbControl(shess=FALSE,noinit=FALSE)"
- I upgraded R to version 3.1.1
- I use family="truncnbinom" so I changed the family and tried different
settings
but none of it worked.

I hope one of you can help me with this problem.

Best regards,
Markus Rump