[ADMB Users] [Developers] Help test admb-11.2

Allan Hicks - NOAA Federal allan.hicks at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 15 14:53:28 PST 2014

Thanks Johnoel (and developers),

I've been working with Visual C++ and I feel that the installation
instructions could use some improvement. I am willing to work on that, but
I have a couple of questions that should probably be answered before that:

1) Should ADMB continue to support the Visual C++ compiler?    The reason I
ask is that Microsoft requires you to create a Visual Studio account to
download the free version, the SDK does not contain the compiler anymore,
and there the mingw compiler seems to be working pretty well with an easy
install.

2) Is there a 64-bit version of ADMB for the Visual C++ compiler that the
project will release?   There does not seem to be one on the pre-release
site.  I would probably switch to mingw if a Visual C++ 64-bit version is
not available, even though Windows does not actually support the 64-bit
variables with the declarations that ADMB uses.

If the ADMB-project feels that supporting the Visual C++ compiler is still
worthwhile, I will test the install and supply more comments. Otherwise,
I'll work on testing the mingw compiler.

Thanks,
Allan