[Developers] newfmin on GPU with aribitrary number of variables

Ian Taylor ian.taylor at noaa.gov
Wed May 9 10:45:21 PDT 2012

Thanks Dave.

Just in case anyone else is as ignorant as I was yesterday, don't waste
your time trying setting up the GPU stuff on a virtual machine, because it
won't work.

That got me thinking it would be nice to work toward having independent
options for the BFGS algorithm and GPU calcs. Dave did note that the
characteristics of the BFGS algorithm make it well suited to GPU, but it's
easy to imagine that there could be cases where the new algorithm would
perform better even without the extra power.
-Ian