[ADMB Users] Built admb, but it says "Clock skew detected".

John Sibert sibert at hawaii.edu
Thu Sep 9 11:25:32 PDT 2010

A bit of googling turned up the following on
http://www.unix.com/solaris/45737-make-2-warning-clock-skew-detected-your-build-may-incomplete.html

> hhhmm... in regards to the below warning...
> /Warning message: Clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete/.
>
> These warnings can occur when the clock on the build machine is out of
> sync with the timestamps on the source files. Other errors, apparently
> unrelated but in fact caused by the clock skew, can occur along with
> the clock skew warnings. These secondary errors may tend to obscure
> the fact that the true root cause of the problem is an out-of-sync
> clock. For example, an out-of-sync clock has been known to cause an
> old version of javac to be used to compile some files, resulting in
> errors when the pre-1.4 compiler ran across the new assert keyword in
> the 1.4 source code.
> If you see these warnings, reset the clock on the build machine, run
> "gnumake clobber" or delete the directory containing the build output,
> and restart the build from the beginning.
I'm not sure why the time stamps on the source files might appear out of
sync with you machine. You could make sure you machine` time is
correctly synced to a time server. http://www.ntp.org/  Or, as a kludge,
you could "touch" all of the source files.

John

--
John Sibert
Emeritus Researcher, SOEST