[ADMB Users] Software Methods

Richard Methot richard.methot at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 20 07:45:19 PDT 2012

Software catalogs are useful,  but only a partial solution.  SISAM is
working on a classification protocol for assessment methods that hopefully
can help guide assessment practitioners towards the most appropriate tool
for their situation.  Software validation (e.g. does it work correctly) is
not too challenging.  The bigger challenges are performance testing under a
range of data quality, data type, and time series contrast situations.
 Perhaps that is what you intended under the topic of validation.   Another
large challenge is development of "good practices" for use of any software
system (e.g., under what conditions should one allow for changes in the
degree of age-selectivity?).  I am hopeful that SISAM will attract papers
to address these latter two challenges.  SISAM can also be a start of a
global catalog and a springboard for development of a next generation,
generalized assessment framework that will implement the good practices
that have been developed.

Rick