[ADMB Users] testing hybrid mcmc

Ian Taylor ian.taylor at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 24 11:18:55 PDT 2012

Hi Mollie,
mcsave doesn't work in the hybrid method. This is flagged as Issue #94:
http://www.admb-project.org/redmine/issues/94.
so you just get huge files and have to thin later. If you want to try to
get it working, you can probably start with the commented-out line 384 in
the file hybmcmc.cpp<http://admb-project.org/redmine/projects/issues/repository/entry/trunk/src/nh99/hybmcmc.cpp>
:
    //if ( (on=option_match(ad_comm::argc,ad_comm::argv,"-mcsave"))>-1)

Issue 94 also suggests that it may not work with random effects, so you can
be a pioneer there.

As for the  "-hynstep" (singular, not plural), that input controls how many
steps the algorithm makes between doing something else. If there's a good
explanation out there of how hybrid MCMC works in general, or advise on
tuning the epsilon and n-steps inputs, I haven't seen it.
-Ian