[ADMB Users] ADMB as a backbone of an R package - how difficult is this?

H. Skaug hskaug at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 00:12:15 PDT 2012

Hi,

I recommend calling the .exe using system() from R in the same way as
does glmmADMB, rather than using .dll's.
With the .exe approach you have all the ADMB output files (.par .std
.cor) residing in a directory which can
be used for diagnostic checking in case of problems, and in
communication with the ADMB user list.
At least you should use the .exe approach as a start to get your whole
system working, and get familiar
with ADMB. On the surface, communication via text files does not look
elegant, but you
then stay closer to the ADMB community, which is good in case your
engine is ADMB.

Hans