[ADMB Users] The importance of parameterizing a nonlinear model well

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Wed Aug 21 10:36:48 PDT 2013

Hi Anders,

I guess my main problem with the paper is that by failing to address the
reparameterization issue,
it is more favourable to R. In fact on first reading It seems to imply
that one can fit the model with R,
but the issue is a bit muddled.  A user would be justified in concluding
that  while ADMB was a bit more
stable R is easier to use.

A big advantage of ADMB is the automatic calculation of std devs via the
delta method.   If you use
R you will have to calculate the derivatives and  delta method
calculations by hand.  All in all, for
this particular problem then I think that ADMB is easier than R.

      Cheers,

       Dave