[ADMB Users] ADMB Installation

Allan Hicks - NOAA Federal allan.hicks at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 18 06:33:15 PDT 2013

Hi Alexander,

This issue is related to you PATH, which is described in step 3 of that
install page.  I can imagine two potential issues:

1) you are installing the 64-bit version of ADMB, but you do not have the
64-bit C++ compiler installed

2) you do not have a 64-bit version of Windows

You should check that the folders you entered into the PATH in step 3
actually exist. If they do not, find the folders that contain 'cl.exe',
which is the Microsoft compiler.  If you do not have 'cl.exe' in a folder
called amd64, then you do not have the 64-bit compiler and you
should install 32-bit ADMB.

If you do have a 64-bit version of windows and really want to compile
64-bit executables, you can get the 64-bit compiler in the Windows SDK
download, which installs a 64-bit cl.exe in the amd64 folder.

As you can see, setting up ADMB to compile 64-bit programs is slightly more
challenging than the 32-bit version of ADMB.  If you would like the latest
version of ADMB, you can build it from the source. See the downloads page
at ADMB-project.org

http://www.admb-project.org/downloads

And follow the instructions in INSTALL.TXT.  Or, probably the easiest way
to get running with ADMB is to install ADMB-IDE.

http://www.admb-project.org/tools

Good luck and please let me know if you any questions,
Allan