[ADMB Users] phases in state-space model

H. Skaug hskaug at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 15:41:07 PDT 2013

Hi Mollie,

I always estimate all fixed effects paramaters first (using one or more
phases).
Then I activate both the parameters of the AR-1 state space model in
a single phase. The advantage of this is that plain ADMB (non-ADMB-RE)
is used in the beginning which is really fast.

However, every model has its own features. I recently came across a model
where one of the fixed effects (not a simple regression parameter, though)
was not identifiable without the random effects being active, so
my standard approach failed.

I hope this helps.

hans