[ADMB Users] Please test updated installation documentation.

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Mon Nov 18 10:44:31 PST 2013

On 13-11-18 10:15 AM, Ian Taylor - NOAA Federal wrote:

Thats crap.  This sounds like R cheerleading.
Group testing is to find subtle errors on different software installations.
When the software has obviously never been tested at all there is a
serious problem.
I've spent two days with
this stuff and have yet to produce a 100% working version.

This stuff is filled with the stench of open source free software where
since it is free no one seems to
feel a great obligation to ensure that it actually really works.

If I download the source via svn and run the make with

C:\admb>utilities/make

C:/admb/utilities/make --directory=src CC=gcc CXX=g++ all
make[1]: Entering directory `C:/admb/src'
svnversion .. > ../REVISION
make[1]: [revision] Error 1 (ignored)
rm -rf ../build/dist
make[1]: *** [dist] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/admb/src'
make: *** [g++-all] Error 2

So the make fails immediately.  This is because the directory
/build/dist does not yet exist.

It one runs

  utilites/make -i

one can get farther.

However there are other failures. In particular the scripting is too
complicated. If you want to do
complicated scripting in windows go and read what the real professionals
say.  What they say
is that you need to run the script on every version of windows because
the cmd.exe
vary in strange ways.

BTW I had all this working fine 10 years ago.

one can get passed this.